Work with an attorney who is trained in mediation and fully understands the mediation process.
Much of our practice is mediating cases, and we recommend that our clients have their attorneys attend all mediation sessions, particularly when:
- One or both spouses have considerable assets
- The couple or one spouse owns or has an interest in a business
- Couples have many children or children with special needs
- Communication has severely broken down
- One spouse does not feel they can stand up to the other and express their needs
- One spouse is in fear of the other
- Where there is a real imbalance in power between the spouses
- One spouse has sole control of family finances
- One spouse has worked in the home and the other has been working outside the home
- There are considerable disparities in education.