Phone: (734) 994-3000
Associate Attorney Miriam Saffo has known she wanted to help people since she was in grade school, and she realized that goal by pursuing a legal career. As a member of a loving, close-knit family, it’s no surprise that Miriam was drawn to family law as a way to help other families, especially those with children.
Miriam has dedicated her entire career to serving families and children, even before she graduated from law school. During her law studies at Michigan State University, Miriam worked for Ingham County Courts in many capacities, including at the Friend of the Court, where parents were encouraged to work out issues such as child custody, support, and parenting time. She also worked for a family law judge in Oakland County, which gave her a behind the scenes look at judicial perspectives on family law disputes.
She realized that it is easy for separating or divorcing couples to become focused on concrete details, like property division, and lose sight of the bigger picture—creating a better future for themselves and their children. As an attorney, Miriam helps foster positive resolutions by helping parents see the benefits of working together for the sake of their children. She also sets a good example by building respectful, cooperative working relationships with opposing counsel to achieve “win-win” outcomes for their clients.
Miriam understands that it’s not enough to simply encourage parents in the midst of a stressful dispute to reach agreement; it’s important to give them the tools and support they need to do so. Accordingly, Miriam is trained in Collaborative practice, and is dedicated to alternative dispute resolution techniques, including mediation, which she uses to help clients craft settlements that meet their unique needs. Despite her emphasis on de-escalating conflict, Miriam also knows that sometimes it is simply necessary to litigate in order to achieve the best outcome for her clients and their children. She tailors her dispute resolution approach to the needs of each client.
Recognizing in NSSS&B the same commitment to achieving the best and most dignified resolution to family law disputes, Miriam joined the firm in 2019. A native of West Bloomfield, Michigan, Miriam now resides in Ann Arbor, where she enjoys the city’s dining, cultural events and diverse community.
Miriam serves clients in Washtenaw, Oakland, Wayne, and Macomb counties.
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Collaborative Divorce
- Spousal Support
- Michigan State University College of Law, JD cum laude
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award – Legal Analysis and Writing
- Loyola University Chicago, BA, magna cum laude
Admissions to Practice
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (2019)
Professional Memberships and Associations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Young Lawyers Section, Executive Council Member, District 3
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Family Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Member of the Domestic Violence Committee
- Contributor, The Official Blog of the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section, Inter Alia